About Us – History of the Bakery
Devonshire Bakery Ltd. is a family run business which was started at the turn of the last century in Porter Street, Runcorn, by Fred Crowther, great grandfather of the present managing director. He was a farmer as well as baker. In those days the bread was delivered by a horse-drawn cart!
In 1928 the Edinburgh Arms was purchased in Devonshire Square, Runcorn, and was named the Devonshire Cafe. This eventually combined a shop, cafe, bakery and ballroom, the latter being the renowned local venue for ‘the Dev’ dances and wedding receptions. Fred’s two sons, Cyril and Reg, joined him in the business with Reg ultimately becoming the sole owner.
In 1953 the second Reg (now retired) ran the business after completing his national service. The ballroom was closed not long after and the business became The Devonshire Bakery.
In the early seventies the Development Corporation put a compulsory purchase order on the premises to make way for a bus route through the Old Town and in November 1973 the business moved to Frodsham where it continues to be the Head Office, shop and main bakery site where all the production takes place. In the mid eighties a cake studio was added to the Frodsham shop and there are currently two additional shops at Weaverham and Runcorn.